Thursday, October 23, 2014

Challenged by the Lord

Nearly two weeks ago the Lord issued a challenge to me. I was reading in John 14. The story was of Jesus talking with two of his disciples, Thomas and Philip. He was explaining that He had to go away but for them not to worry. He assured them that they knew the way. They were perplexed and could not grasp what He was saying. I have always been struck by the fact that, though the disciples were confused and questioning Jesus, He understood. Jesus understood that they did not understand. 

That is such a wonderful example to us as believers. We need to understand that sometimes others really just don't understand. 

As I became reacquainted with the story I read something else as if for the first time. In verse 10 Jesus asked Philip a question. He asked, "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works."

There it was. Four words that I felt the Holy Spirit ask me directly. "Do you not believe?" Yes, Lord! I believe, but I knew what He meant. He was asking me, challenging me, how much do I believe? How active was my faith willing to become in regards to the needs we had and the needs others have? 

That question would not go away. Everyday when I would think on things I heard the Holy Spirit whisper, "Do you not believe?" Every time doubt crept in. Every time I looked in the natural and wondered how. Every time I heard reports from doctors. Every time I looked at the faces of others around me that showed their struggle. Every time I heard the Holy Spirit gently chide me, "Do you not believe?"

That question began to translate itself more specifically. "Do you not believe that God still heals today? Do you not believe that He still performs miracles? Do you not believe that He can supply all your needs? Whose report will you believe? Are you willing to really pray and seek My face? Are you willing to be bold when others cower and are afraid? Are you willing to be the only one standing on My word? Are you willing to proclaim by faith what has yet to be seen in the natural?"

"Do you not believe that I AM?"
"Are you willing to stretch your faith in desperation and in expectation?" 

The devil would taunt me, "What if you are wrong? What if your faith is not enough? What if........" Then the Holy Spirit would say again, "Do you not believe?"

Four days later this question would become crucial. Our family was faced with something that required real faith. It required more than hoping and more than being slightly confident. It required more than a casual conversation with the Savior. It required more than skimming the pages of God's word. It required real time in God's presence and in His word. It required a choice everyday. Everyday that question had to be answered. Sometimes several times a day. "Do you not believe?" 

This question became a comfort as it challenged me to really wear, run and walk in my faith. I am so thankful the Lord has challenged me and also given me a word to cling to. He knew the battle that was just before us. I pray you are encouraged and that you would seek the Lord and be challenged with the same, "Do you not believe?"

1 comment:

  1. Thank You Jesus that You do challenge us; for our good and You glory! Amen!

    ReplyDelete