Saturday, January 31, 2015

Double Standard

Recently I have been pondering the idea of a seeming double standard imposed on Christians by non-Christians. How often have you heard something like this:

 "I can't believe you said (did) that. I thought you were supposed to be a Christian."
or
"I'm not going to church. It's just full of hypocrites."


One of my favorite songs by DC Talk begins with this statement,
"The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today
Is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips
Then walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle.
That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."


I agree that oftentimes Christians misrepresent the message of the gospel of Christ, whether in word or deed, and especially when they refuse to love others as God loves them. I get that. I am referring to the times when a Christian may say or do something that a non-Christian would deem inappropriate, lacking in love, compassion or tolerance for a professing Christian. This would not necessarily be a behavioral lifestyle...more like isolated incidents.

Oftentimes instant judgment is issued and his/her viewpoint against Christians, Jesus or faith in general gets validated in their eyes. They seem to want to have an I-Told-You-So moment. All of a sudden they think every misconception they hold against a Christian becomes absolute truth.

Let's flip the example. Let's say that I caught Maggie Unbeliever being kind, thoughtful and loving. Maybe she even volunteered with helping the disadvantaged. What if I responded to her by saying, "Gee, Maggie, I am really surprised to see such genuine niceness and care from you. I can't believe you did that. I thought you were an unbeliever. How is it possible for you to be so compassionate?"

That sounds kind of ridiculous. You might think to yourself, "Well, of course unbelievers can be kind, thoughtful, generous, etc. You don't have to believe in God to be those things!" Really?

Would it be fair to say that you don't have to be an unbeliever to have a moment of anger, frustration or a bit of sarcastic wit? Now, if those things were present day in and day out, then I would seriously urge the believer to stop and reflect upon those behaviors. We truly are called to walk in genuine love and compassion, in word and in deed.

If we are going to be Christians then we need to "walk the walk" as they say. I don't credit (or blame) unbelievers for my faith in God and belief in Jesus. My faith and choices in such are my own.

Likewise, unbelievers, those that rail against the Christian and want to hang blame for their unbelief on another's example, need to own their unbelief. Ultimately, what you reject is not my, or another's, example. What...no, Who you reject is Jesus. You reject God's love, His plan for salvation and an opportunity to know, do and experience more than you ever could on your own.

I really do love everyone. Some people are hard to like at times, but I wouldn't turn anyone away in a time of need. One of the stories about Jesus that has always stuck with me is found in John 14. He is walking with two of His disciples and talking about things to come. They have questions and it is evident that they simply don't understand. Jesus understood that they didn't understand.

I try to be the same way. I love to talk about Jesus and even discuss differing points of view. However, if you want to debate in an effort to be right or to be antagonistic you should know that 2 Timothy 2:23 says, " But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife." I will not argue with you, but I will choose to understand that you may not understand.

Finally, for those of you that have been at the receiving end of a sour, loveless or legalistic Christian...don't hang your eternity on their example. Seek God anyway. Go to church anyway. Their example will not be sufficient for your excuse.

1 comment:

  1. Yes Lord. Amen to that. We each, individually, will give account for our state of acceptance or rejection of You, Lord, and Your gift of Salvation to us.

    There will be NO EXCUSE to hide behind. And for those who choose "ignorance" - it will be reminded them, that a prophet has been is their midst. GUILTY - will be their charge! Followed by - Depart from Me, I NEVER knew you. How sad; but true.

    Soon and very soon, we are going to meet the King! Amen! Thank you Jenny Newman. You are a treasure.

    Blessings.
    Leila Nord.

    ReplyDelete