Friday, August 1, 2014

Pecan Sandies

The big meeting spot for our family is at my grandmother's farm. We call her Mammaw. She doesn't go too many places anymore, but she has trained us all to come to her. She is a clever lady. I think one of everyone's favorite things about Mammaw's place is the snack drawer in the fridge. In the bottom two drawers she keeps snack cakes and miniature candy bars. In the back room she often keeps single bags of chips as well as cookies. One of the refrigerators is primarily used for drinks. My mother often bakes, so finding jam cake in the freezer is not a hard task. It is safe to say we are all a bit spoiled to the love she offers in the form of so many tasty treats.

I have noticed that when I visit I will eat things at her house that I would ordinarily give no thought to. I have even found myself snacking on a pecan sandie, one of the least flavorful cookies out there. Now, do I go out and buy pecan sandies for my house or bake a jam cake for my freezer? No, I don't. It tastes better at Mammaw's house. I enjoy it while I am there.

As I think about that I cannot help but think about the many different churches within the Chrisitan faith. Each church offers something a little bit different from the next. As we visit one another we may find that the pecan sandie is a bit sweeter at someone else's house. We may look forward to that jam cake found when visiting brethren that live elsewhere. We may never ask for the recipe or keep the same cookie on our shelf but it's nice to receive the love offered in many forms at another's home. We are grateful that they share with us so willingly.

Mammaw has never required that I keep the same food at my house as she keeps at hers. She loves the fellowship of her family. She shares what she has willingly. I am not condemned for not liking pecan sandies or for not baking that jam cake. She has always welcomed me each time I pull into her yard. She often tells us how blessed she is to have a family that visits regularly and that cares about her so much.  

We are a large family. Mammaw and Pappaw had nine children. They in turn had the grandchildren who in turn have had the great-grandchildren. We are many personalities with varying faiths, habits, inclinations, hopes and desires. We each have our own story to tell. We have each carried a burden, sometimes shared, sometimes alone. Sometimes we disagree and on a rare occasion may fight. Often, with enough pasing of time, wounds heal and our family remains.

The same should be true for the church. We are a large family much the same. May we make time to visit one another regularly and to love often. May we share what's in our kitchen with one another and be willing to be surprised at how good a pecan sandie can actually be.

Much love to you all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment