Sunday, August 24, 2014

What's a War Between Friends?

A silent war was waged
between you and I.
I don't know 
How it happened
And cannot tell you why. 

Are we jealous?
Are we threatened?
How can we really know? 
This war that stands between us
Has yet to really show.

So we go on as days go by,
Strangers in passing,
Like ships in the night. 
For all appearances
It seems everything is alright.

We play a charade 
Of friendship, or
Acquaintance,
Is more the word.
Sometimes we talk
But seldom are heard. 

Although we do not fight
It seems we don't agree.
I'm not sure what
Is the problem.
Is it you?
Or is it me?

It seems we've much in common,
Even our walls appear the same.
So closely we are guarded,
And so we play this game. 

I imagine you are funny
And ever so sweet to know.
I have a wicked sense of humor,
But to you it does not show. 

I sometimes lament 
about our friendship,
That never got to form.
Perhaps we're both 
A little battle-weary
And our trust is a little worn.

Still, I cannot help but wonder,
You see, it's what I often do.
I wonder about people,
I wonder about you.

So often I want to reach out,
To walk beside you 
As a friend,
But I understand your distance
Though it seems 
This war
May never end.

I could wave 
A white flag of surrender,
To try and forge 
A compromise,
But would your
Jaded eyes behold its color
And even recognize
It as a sign of peace,
A sign of love,
A sign of friendship
If you will?
I would meet you 
At the top
If you were willing 
To climb the hill. 

But how do I do that
If you do not even
Acknowledge we 
Are at war?
If your denial
maintains your distance,
Then perhaps we'll never know
How great a force 
We could be together
And how together
We could grow.

We wrestle not against flesh,
And not against blood
Yet here we are 
You and I.
Wrestling to know 
Each other, 
Not understanding why.

Why are we strangers?
Why aren't we friends?
They whys in this war
Quite possibly have no end.

I don't mind the questions
Nor do I mind 
The pursuit to understand. 
I often contemplate 
In silence and in prayer. 
I must confess 
I have a handicap,
And thought it needed
To be shared.

I am socially awkward, you see.
Polite conversation
is difficult for me.
I struggle to talk
About the weather,
And I struggle
to answer, "How are you?"
You see I want
To be too honest.
I want my answers to be true.

But how can I be honest
When an answer you
Do not really seek,
And a cursory glance
Is all you can afford.
It is in these moments
Of shallow interaction
That I am sadly convinced
We are in an unnamed war.

I war to be different.
You war to be the same,
Or is it the other way around?
Does it matter
Which is true,
As we behold the
Casualties on the ground?

Our friendship is one casualty.
Like an aborted fetus
In the womb.
It was taken before
It had a chance at life,
Like a flower's wilted bloom.

So where do we go from here?
How does a silent war
even try to find an end?
How do our walls
Come down, so
That a friendship
May begin?

Perhaps the walls remain
And our friendship
Is denied,
Perhaps in our
own minds
We each think we
Have already tried.

Would it be true
That the war would
Remain
If indeed we each
Had really tried?
Would our efforts
Be so much in vain?
Perhaps instead it
Is really pride or fear
Of feeling pain.

The pain of rejection,
The pain of betrayal
Pick a pain,
I am sure any would do.
At the end of the day
It's really just fear
That keeps you from me
And me from you.

In case it ever
Crossed your mind,
One more thing,
Before I go,
I really don't dislike you.
You can't hate someone
You do not know.

If ever you need
Help to dismantle
The bricks from
Your wall,
I hope you will
Not hesitate
To give me a call.

Once we we are finished,
And once we are through,
We can work
On my wall,
And I'll be sure to
Call on you.


This is dedicated to all the strangers I know who may one day become friends and to all my friends are still yet strangers. May we set fear and presuppositions aside. May we be willing to be surprised at how awesome we each are.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny,
    You are just the "best"...and I do so love your heart. Thank you for exposing it to me and to the world here in your arrangements of thoughts. How precious you are to me, my one true longtime earthly friend. You were sent by God into my life; received by my spirit in a deliberate act of obedience; and we continue to grow together in a willing spirit of - spiritual participation. I love you more than words can say, and I treasure who you are, and what you do, and what it is you say, because when you speak, it is always edifying and encouraging, even if it is correction -- it is always wrapped up in LOVE. Blessings to you my friend. Leila. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Leila. Thanks Jenny Newman for the blessings!

      Delete
  2. Thank you both. Hugs to you, Leila. I am ever so thankful for our friendship that has withstood so many fantastic years.

    ReplyDelete